- Preventive maintenance enables a micro-irrigation system to operate at peak efficiency and will save water and fertilizer.
- Routinely maintain pumps, power units, filters, valves, pressure gauges, flow meters, and field pipe/tubing/emitters.
- Flushing the irrigation system is critical to prevent emitter plugging.
- A plugged or scaled irrigation system requires remedial maintenance including cleaning or replacing emitters and line purging.
- Water treatment to reduce emitter plugging potential may include chlorination, acidification, and/or injection of scale inhibitors and sequestering agents.
- The effectiveness of water conditioning or purge chemicals should be evaluated with scale-monitoring devices or water distribution uniformity checks.